What you should know about dental implants
Anyone thinking about dental implants, and how this amazing part of dentistry may benefit you should consider a few important points about dental implants first. The first stage when having dental implant treatment is to have a thorough implant assessment with your dental implant surgeon. One needs to make sure that the procedure itself is possible, given that we have some medical or dental complications that may affect dental implant treatment. Dental implants have been shown to be successful in 95% of cases however they are prone to fail more commonly in some instances where certain medical or dental conditions exist.
It is crucial to determine first if you are a good candidate for this procedure before actually undertaking it. Growing children who don’t have a fully developed set of teeth yet are not recommended for dental implants. Dental implants in children is contraindicated as the implants will not adjust to the growing jaw. This could hinder the normal development of the jaw bone and have long term consequences.
Risk Factors about dental implants which may affect the success of treatment.
Most adults are good candidates for dental implants however if you have one of the following you may be at a higher risk of dental implant failure:
- heavy smoking
- poor oral hygiene
- neglected gum disease
- very limited bone volume
- existing dental/bone infections of the jaw
- some metabolic disorders
- inability to brush teeth effectively due to disability
At Brighton Implant Clinic our dentists are experienced to understand and accurately assess each case individually. During the FREE dental implant assessment, the dental implants procedure is carefully explained. If you are at a higher risk of dental implant failure this will be outlined to you. If you are not a suitable dental implant candidate then we may be able to help you with another alternative
Further facts about dental implants.
Treatment usually takes a minimum of three stages.
- The first stage usually involves the placement of the dental implant itself. This procedure is usually undertaken under local anesthetic although the surgery can be carried out under intravenous sedation. After the surgery has taken place it will be very important to follow the post-operative instructions carefully. Keeping the surgery area clean from plaque and food debris will also be an important factor for implant integration.
- The second stage involves taking impressions of the healed implant. The healing period for a dental implant to fuse with the jaw bone usually takes about 3-4 months. During this time the bone actually grows onto the titanium surface of the implant. This process is called osseo-integration.
- The third stage is when the implant restoration is secured onto the dental implants. This usually is the final stage of the implant process.
If you have been wearing dentures for a long time and you would like to be ‘denture free’ then dental implants are the answer. Dental implants are fused to the jaw bone so they look and feel like natural teeth. No more dentures moving around while speaking or eating. Dental implants are the most advanced fixed teeth solution available today. Why not give us a call and find out more about dental implants.
Brighton Implant Clinic is a leading dental implant clinic providing affordable dental implant treatment to patients across the whole of the UK. For further information please call us on 0844 815 1414